Have you heard about the Let’s Move Pittsburgh Campaign? Let’s Move Pittsburgh is a collaborative program of Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. The collaborative provides Southwestern Pennsylvania’s children and their caregivers with the knowledge, tools, and support needed to make nutritious food choices and promote active lifestyles.
A few weeks ago I along with my family were invited to Phipps Conservatory for the Summer Family Fun Media Event. At the event, we had the opportunity to go to the newly renovated Botany Hall Kitchen where we learned all about the children’s programs and test out a healthy recipe for children.
We’ll take you and a group of other family bloggers into our newly renovated Botany Hall Kitchen where we’ll make a snack and tell you about all of the wonderful children’s programs that we offer at Phipps.
We learned a lot while on our trip!
The Collaborative Program consists of a lot of different initiatives…the initiative that I was really interested in was the 5-2-1-0 program.
5-2-1-0 is an initiative to reinforce healthy lifestyle choices for the benefit of local kids! 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, 2 hours or less of recreational screen time, 1 hour or more of physical activity and 0 sugary drinks and more water!
Let’s Move Pittsburgh Event Highlights:
- Mon., June 24 – Planting the Seed healthy snack and story (10–10:30 a.m.), Seeds of Change activity stations (10:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.), Yoga Family Fitness (1:30–2:30 p.m.).
- Tues., June 25 – The World of Water healthy snack and story (10–10:30 a.m.), Wonderful Water activity stations (10:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.), Hip Hop Family Fitness (1:30–2:30 p.m.).
- Wed., June 26 – Weeds and Needs healthy snack and story (10–10:30 a.m.), Story Time (10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.), Root for Healthy Flavors activity stations (10:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.), Yoga Family Fitness (1:30–2:30 p.m.).
- Thurs., June 27 – Happy Harvest healthy snack and story (10–10:30 a.m.), Healthy Garden Harvest activity stations (10:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.), Hip Hop Family Fitness (1:30–2:30 p.m.).
- Fri., June 28 – Seeds, Peels and Skins healthy snack and story (10–10:30 a.m.), Pot-a-Plant (10:30 a.m.–noon), Powerful Peels and Wiggly Worms activity stations (10:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.), Yoga Family Fitness (1:30–2:30 p.m.).
- Daily (10 a.m.–2:30 p.m.) – Family activities with Kidsburgh: Participate in hands-on craft activities including recycled paper flowers, origami monster bookmarks, and kid-friendly circuitry kits.
- Daily (10:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.) – UPMC Health Plan Mobile Screening: Measure your height, weight and get free blood pressure and bone density screenings from UPMC Health Plan.
- During their visit, guests will also experience Phipps’ blockbuster Summer Flower Show: Van Gogh in Bloom, be surrounded by butterflies and their favorite blooms in Butterfly Forest and more.
To view the full event schedule, visit: https://www.phipps.conservatory.org/calendar/detail/lets-move-pittsburgh-summer-fun-days
We have been Pittsburgh MANY times, but this was my first time attending the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. I heard how beautiful it is prior to going, but once we were there we LOVED it! The kids had a great time in the different exhibits. They asked lots of questions about the plants and trees. Emma LOVED the Butterfly Garden!!
Let’s Move Pittsburgh Summer Fun Days are open to the public and all activities are free with admission. Hours are 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily and until 10 p.m. on Fridays. Admission is $17.95 for adults, $16.95 for seniors and students, and $11.95 for children (2 – 18). Members and kids under 2 enter free.