This post is a Sponsored Post on behalf of ACME Fresh Market. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Comfort food means something different for everyone! For us, during this time of year, it means having something good to eat that gives you all the comfort and feels! After being hit with a snowstorm a couple of weeks ago, we have been all about the Slow Cooker feel-good meals! If you have been following our family for some time you know that December is a rough month for us. We are prepping for Christmas but also remembering our son that passed away on December 14, 2014. Tomorrow will mark 6 years since his death, and although the process doesn’t get easier we have learned how to navigate life and celebrate his life and the time we had with him.
In years past I would try to breeze past this day thinking maybe I could get the day over without thinking about my son, but that doesn’t usually happen. I realize staying close to family, and laughing and being with them is the best way we can honor Darrick II’s memory! We got up early stopped by ACME Fresh Market, came home and watched football, and prepped for the week!
Making a good comfort meal for tomorrow will help us in coping tomorrow! Darrick and I both have to work, but aside from that being together and enjoying a good meal is what I’m looking forward to the most!
We love chili, and I knew it would be a great meal for us all tomorrow!
Chili Chicken Soup
When I was younger I thought making chili was complicated, however, after you make it a couple of times you realize it’s really very easy to make. If you’re making chili in the slow cooker once you gather your ingredients, you dump everything into the slower cooker and let it cook for a couple of hours.
Slow-Cooker Green Chili Chicken Soup
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 cans black beans
- 4 oz can fire-roasted green chilis
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- 1 - 2 cups of chicken broth
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry minced onion
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Pepper jack cheese shredded
- Avocado sliced
- Lime wedged
- Tortillas or tortilla chips
- Combine all ingredients (except cream cheese & garnish ingredients) in a 6 quart slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-5 hours or low for 5-7 hours - low temp works best.
- When soup is done, remove the chicken, shred it, set it aside
- Stir or whisk ROOM TEMPERATURE cream cheese into the pot until a smooth consistency is reached
- Add chicken back in for another 10-15 minutes
- Serve immediately with garnish ingredients and enjoy!
My family loves Gerber Chicken from ACME Fresh Market. Gerber’s Chicken is from Ohio’s Amish Country, from local family farms. No antibiotics or hormones – you can taste the difference.
If you want the best-tasting chicken, buy Gerber from Acme’s meat departments!