Happy New Year!!!
If you’re reading this, God has blessed you to see another year!!! Thank You, Jesus!!!
You have 366 to write another chapter in your story! I must admit I love it when we go into another year! It’s like a blank canvas, I love seeing vision board parties, I love seeing the motivation to try some new things that you didn’t try last year! I personally love it! I noticed on Facebook there was lots of “Debbie Downers” trying to unmotivate people, but I am here to tell you that you can start over at any time but if you choose to start at the beginning of the year, you do just that and don’t let anyone discourage you!
I am still on Winter Break from my job! I have 4 days left and I plan to thoroughly enjoy them! I was looking forward to this time off! 2019 was a little rough personally! 2019 was financially rough, which then became mentally stressful! However, during that time we have received TONS of blessings! Sunday at church I had a chance to thank one of the members who would randomly send groceries our way! I never asked her to, nor did she know what we were going through financially…But God did!
As we enter this new year, I look forward to the new year with a grateful heart! Even through our struggles, we have been blessed!
Last year I feel like I learned a lot of lessons, and I would like to share them as tips (in no particular order) for this upcoming year…
1. Do whatever you need to do to work on you! If that means create resolutions, getting a new planner, make a vision board, write a bucket list, pray, meditate…no matter what it is, do it for you! Share with others or keep it to yourself! But do you, and don’t apologize for it!
2. Do it scared! For 13 years I have worked in Higher Education, but this year I left my job in Higher Education to work at a K-12 Private School! I won’t lie to you, it’s been a great change but it has come with being uncomfortable! Very uncomfortable at times, but I know this was the best decision for myself and for my family!
3. Take Time For You…and REST!!! I can’t stress it enough, you are important, so if that means taking a day off work, taking a weekend road trip, “hibernating” at home, do it!!! Family Secret…Darrick and I will often schedule a weekend that we are “busy” but really we use that weekend for US! Rest is just as important as being busy, so make sure you’re taking time to REST!!!
4. No is a Full Sentence! Listen, people, you will drive yourself crazy if you don’t say no! I know this is a lesson that I have to often remind myself of because you will run yourself crazy if you say yes to everything! If someone doesn’t respect your answer of No, then that’s something they have to deal with, not you! Protect your mental, physical and emotional self by saying No!
5. Take One Tank Trips! One of the best things you will thank yourself for is a getaway! At the end of October, we went to Columbus for the weekend for my sister in law’s birthday, and we didn’t rush back! It was so relaxing! We stayed at a hotel that was brand new, we visited my nephew who is in college in that town, and the next morning we walked around the mall talking and enjoying each other’s company! Not only was it relaxing for the adults but for the kids too!
6. Eat at Home! I love going out just as much as the next person, but the reality is we spend a lot of money on food! Pack snacks, eat a meal before you leave…save money to spend in other ways! Don’t spend it by eating out ALL THE TIME! I may be preaching to myself right now, but all those little stops to eat here and there can save you hundreds a month…and it’s not that we eat out that much but all those quick trips add up quickly!
7. Find somewhere to Fellowship with those of the same beliefs as you! Find a time during the week to be around those who have the same beliefs as you! It will recharge you! It could be a church, life group, Bible Study…we all need a recharge, find that place and go! Your spirit will thank you for it!
8. Go for a Walk! From November to December I participated in a Step Challenge at work, my team didn’t win, but personally, I challenged myself and totally underestimated how walking makes you feel! It gives you energy, refreshes you throughout the day if you power walk it serves as exercise and clears your mind!
9. Purge! Before Christmas, we purged a lot of our kid’s toys because we knew they would be receiving more and we needed to make room! However, the refreshing feeling of parting ways with things you know you will no longer use feels awesome! This is something I know most people do before the New Year but do it anytime, it feels amazing! I purged my closet last night!
10. Go to the Doctors! Make the appointment, keep the appointment and go! Period! (I may be preaching to myself on this one)!
11. Do at least one fun thing each weekend! It doesn’t have to be something extravagant but do something to zone out and have fun! One of my blogger friends Eboni from CR8Joi asks questions on her Instagram Stories each weekend to see if you’re prepped for the week. One of the questions is did you have fun this weekend? And one particular time I answered no and I was like wait, I have to change this…I need to do something fun each weekend! PERIOD! It doesn’t have to be big, but I deserve some fun!
I’m sure I am missing some but at least this list will help you to get started!